Monday, February 8, 2010

Superbowl Afterthoughts

Just like everyone else last night, I tuned in to watch the Superbowl. I love football, and it doesn't matter which teams are playing (usually). I love the game - the frustrations, the big plays, the turnovers and upsets, the rushing, the passing, the blocking, the Quarterback Sneak and the Hail Mary pass. All of it. Don't get me wrong, I'd like for the Philadelphia Eagles to win the Superbowl just one time, it's just I've pretty much given up hope that Donovan McNabb is going to take us there. But I digress...





I was rooting for the Saints to win. I had moments of fear and doubt, I'll admit. At one point last night, I'd texted a comment on Twitter remarking that the Saints, perhaps, were suffering from Beagles Syndrome. (An affliction the Philadelphia Eagles are prone to, where they play more like dogs than professional athletes).  It was a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I'd worried that by publicly announcing my fidelity I'd been the harbinger of doom. An "Oh fucking God, what have I done" moment, if you will. Thankfully, I was wrong!  The second half was amazing, and they went on to win the game.

Throughout the night, between eating and drinking and biting my tongue in a futile attempt to not say, "oh fucking hell" in front of my father, I watched the commercials in the hopes of finding the next "Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head" commercial. You know the commercial I'm talking about, where the Mrs. is bitching to the Mr. and the Mr. takes a sharp turn or whatnot and the Mrs.' mouth goes flying off the side of the cliff and must resort to her "angry eyes" only.  I did not find one, but TWO great commercials last night that just tickled me. A third commercial made me say, "Aawww... " (as in 'I want to lick you from head to toe') and one that made me all tingly (as in, 'I want someone to lick me from head to toe').  Another magical moment came at the end of the night, after the game.

I can't remember which commercial came first, but the E*trade commercial with the jealous girlfriend asking about the "Milkaholic Lindsey" was priceless! Here it is, for your viewing pleasure.



The second commercial was the Doritos "Keep Your Hands Off My Momma" commercial. I'll admit, I've played this one five times already!



Okay, make that six times!

The commercial that I made me say, "Aaawww...(I want to lick you from head to toe)" was the CBS Cares commercial with Mark Sanchez. He is uberlickable. Oh yes he is! And shove off, I know he was speaking to ME.



Now, the commercial that made me all tingly was, no surprise here, a car commercial. Not just any car commercial, but the Dodge Charger commercial! I love cars with muscle and cars that are fast. (Think Hemi!!) This little gem just made my night!



Yeah... still does it for me!

To me, the most magical moment of the night was not the Saints winning the game, but what came after. Not Drew Brees shoving the Lombardi trophy in the air, but instead holding his little boy, cuddling him and lifting him in the air. Check out the photo below. It tells me that no matter the victories, the trophies, the adoration or whatever comes next, that moment when he held his son high in the air was the best moment of his night. That he was there and able to share it with him. It moved me.



I'm looking forward to next season! Geaux Saints!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree...the milkaholic commerical was by far the best! So good I almost dropped my beer and pissed myself laughing! As it turs out I didn't do either, but I could have;)

    ReplyDelete