Monday, June 29, 2009

Surreal Moment

I'm not big into celebrities. Not that I don't appreciate them, for it can't be easy having the world have an opinion on how you live your life and making free with the comments. I am just not awestruck by them.

Okay, I'll admit that when I was in Hollywood last month and I saw Bo Bice, the runner-up from American Idol Season 4, waiting in the wings to be interviewed, my panties got a little wet. But that wasn't so much because he was a celebrity, it was his hair! That gorgeous hair. And his smile. His smile cannot be discounted. But it wasn't an "Oh my God, it's someone famous!" kind of moment. It was more of an "Oh my God, if he wasn't married or surrounded by bodyguards, I would so jump him," kind of moment.

I'm saying this because tonight, Rod Stewart began following me on Twitter. Yeah, that Rod Stewart. At least, I think it's that Rod Stewart. From all accounts and impressions, it most certainly seems like it is. I sent him a Direct Message saying hi and thanks for following. He can't send a message back, because I haven't friended him.

And I'm sitting here wondering why I haven't. I mean, come on! This is my chance to rub shoulders with someone famous! I'm an aspiring writer and playwright. I should want to network and get my name out there, right? What better way than through a celebrity? One that began following me, instead of the other way around.

And I'm thinking, is it because I like the idea that I've attracted a celebrity and perhaps I can make myself seem more alluring by holding off jumping on the bandwagon of Rod Stewart followers? Is it the pull of being able to think, perhaps he likes me more than I like him?

All of this sounds very egotistical. And perhaps I like that too. For a brief moment in time, I have someone famous liking me enough to follow me.

It certainly is a surreal moment. I couldn't stop giggling, truth be told, at the absurdity of it all. I mean, this is Rod Stewart! Rod the Bod! Rod, Do-You-Think-I'm-Sexy, Fuck-Yes-I-Do Stewart!

And I can't be bothered. I think I'll wait to see if he says hello. Or if he says something interesting on his wall. I mean, after all, beyond his persona, what the hell do I know? Is he someone I'd like to hang out with? I've no idea.

But still, it is a surreal moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment