Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A New Year, a New Start

Hello and Happy New Year!

So much has been happened the second half of last year, and it's been ages and ages since I've updated anything here, that I think now would be a good time to update.

My family:

As most know, my dad has health issues. I'm glad to report that, while his health isn't great, he's holding steady. We had a major scare over Thanksgiving; we thought we were going to lose him. He's recovering and slowly getting stronger, thank God. I wrote him a letter this year for Christmas, telling him that he is my hero and the person I look up to most. He's taught me two important lessons: a.) family is everything, and b.) accept that life that God has given you, then strive and work hard to make it better. It is hard to not want more, to wish to have things differently. It is sometimes very, very hard to accept "your lot in life," so to speak. That doesn't mean it can't be changed, but it starts with accepting where you are.

My son is getting so big! He now has braces. And a dad. After a few rocky months, he is connecting with his dad and sister, and I couldn't be happier. Personally, that chapter of my life is closed; but I'm encouraging them to spend time together and get to know each other. The three of them love guns. In fact, Christmas weekend they were cleaning guns together. The family that shoots together.... yeah, whatever. I like guns, but I won't own one, and I certainly won't have one in my house. But it's good that they can bond over the History Channel and History Channel and Outdoor Life. His dad bought him hunting knives and a pocket knife for Christmas. I cringed, but they thought it was cool. Who am I to argue? I'm only the clueless mom right now. That's okay, I'll suffer through. My boy and his dad are learning they belong to each other, and that's a pretty damn cool thing.

And speaking of sex...

I've recently ended a relationship with a man I've dubbed, "an emotional wrecking-ball." I like to think I'm pretty intuitive when it comes to others, but I was totally blindsided this time. I believed every lie and line he handed me and let him continue with his bad behavior until I finally reached my breaking point. Do I believe he cheated on me? Yep, I do. Am I much better off without him? Oh, hell yes. I keep waiting to miss him and feel bad about the break-up, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm feeling pretty damn good these days.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are "feeling pretty damn good these days" . . . that is the best way to start the New Year ! Keep that feeling ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete