Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Music

Music has always been a part of my life; I don't remember a time when it wasn't. While my mom likes music, it was and is my dad that is the big influencer in our house. There were church hymns on Sunday morning, Jim Reeves and Pasty Cline on Saturday nights. There were Polish Kolendy (Polish Christmas carols) and music lessons for years. My mother's contributions were Unchained Melody and Irish songs in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

I grew up listening to everything and anything - from obereks to concertos. Today, my son is carrying on the musical tradition. While my brother first learned music on an accordion (and don't laugh, you've no idea how hard it is to play) which he mastered in three years before moving on to first the electric guitar and finally the acoustic, my son has started on the clarinet. He asked for a guitar for his last birthday, which we bought for him. My brother will teach him, and I'm curious to see how patient they are going to be with each other.

For my son's part, he loves hard rock - Ozzy, AC/DC, Breaking Benjamin and hip hop - Jay Sean, Ludacris, and Trey Songz.  He also likes Black Eyed Peas and Bon Jovi. His favorite song, though, is Classical Gas, and he often logs on to YouTube to find classical guitar videos.  He appreciates music in all forms, and he's not shy about it. He even goes to sleep listening to music, much like I did at his age.

I'll not be making any Top Five lists or tell you why I like certain songs; my taste is too eclectic and a song I love this month I might be sick of by next month. (The fabulous @karenbrand is thinking of doing just this, and I'm dying to read her blog! You can find it here: http://themadnessofginggorge.blogspot.com/ )

But for this month, this is my son's favorite song:





While this song is mine (for the moment, anyway):

No comments:

Post a Comment